The Alcala Exodus
Camargo was founded on March 6,
1749, on the eastern bank of the San Juan River about 6 miles from where
it empties into the Rio Grande River. The initial settlers were
primarily from Nuevo Leon and consisted of 40 families and a few
soldiers. Capt. Blas Maria de la Garza Falcon was placed in charge of
Camargo. Native Indian tribes living in the area included the
Tareguanos, Pajaritos, Venados, Tejones and Cuero Quemados.
An official Census of Camargo was conducted on May 31, 1750. Among
the citizens listed in that census was Juan Diego Longoria, and he was
indicated to be a widower. Children living in his household at that time
were Antonio (30), Anna Maria (20), Juana Rosa (20), Joseph Vicente
(18), Juana Anastacia (18), Pedro (17), and Petra (16). The Census
indicated that he had "todas armas" (all arms) and that
his assets included 700 head of goats and sheep, 60 mules for breeding,
8 tame horses, and 4 cows with calves.
Two other children of Juan Diego were shown in the 1750 census; they
were married and had their own separate households in Camargo. They were
Matias, married to Margarita de Hinojosa and having 2 children, and
Agueda, married to Salvador Vela and having 8 children.
Twins were apparently very common in Juan Diego’s family as he had
two sets of twins and his daughter Agueda had one set of twins among her
Juan Diego’s name does not show up in the 1757 Census of Camargo,
so it is presumed he died before then. If that is indeed the case, then
Juan Diego Longoria did not live long enough to witness the official
granting of lands by the King of Spain to his sons in 1767.
Fifth Longoria Generation in the New World
Three of Juan Diego’s sons were among those who
received original land grants (known as Porciones) from the King of
Spain, and a fourth child, daughter Agueda, was married to another Original Grantee:
Porcion 93 (7,971 acres) - Matias Longoria
Chapa and Vicente Longoria Chapa
Porcion 94 (4,650 acres) - Pedro Longoria Chapa
90 (6,248 acres) - Salvador Vela (husband of Agueda Longoria
Three sons of Matias Longoria Chapa, Original Grantee of Porcion 93,
moved to the vicinity of what is now Matamoros, Tamaulipas sometime in
the late 1700’s. I am still researching this history; suffice it to
say that Maria Lydia Garza Longoria, the wife of Mauro Alcala Quintana,
was descended from one of those Longoria brothers.
The Longorias of the Santa Rita Ranch in Brooks County were descended
from Pedro Longoria Chapa, the Original Grantee of Porcion 94. Pedro was
about 16 years old when he and his family came from Cerralvo and settled
the frontier outpost of Camargo in 1749. In 1755, he married Maria
Josefa Villarreal and had five children with her -- Jose Rafael,
Santiago, Josefa, Maria Leocadia and Pedro Jose. In 1767, Pedro received
Porcion 94 as a land grant from the King of Spain. Pedro apparently died
just before or soon after his last son, Pedro Jose Longoria Villarreal,
was born in 1772.
Sixth Longoria Generation in the New World
Pedro Jose Longoria Villarreal was baptized on November 30, 1772, in
Camargo. He married Maria Nicolasa Flores in Reynosa on July 6, 1798.
From this union were born 10 children -- Zenobio, Eugenio, Nepomuceno,
Juan Jose, Juan Santiago, Jose Tomas, Pedro, Martin, Barbara and
Catarina. In their later years, Pedro and Maria Nicolasa Longoria lived
at el Rancho Tepejuage, on the south side of the Rio Grande just a few
miles downstream from Camargo.
Seventh Longoria Generation in the New World
Juan Santiago Longoria Flores, born about 1815 in Camargo, grew up in Camargo
or perhaps El Rancho Tepejuage. He married Yrinea
Villarreal in Camargo on November 27, 1833. They had 10 children --
seven girls (Maria Sostenes, Guadalupe, Maria Antonia, Barbara, Maria
Leonor, Teofila and Yrinea) and three boys (Eugenio, Ponciano and Jose
Maria). Juan Santiago Longoria was probably our
first ancestor to actually move across the Rio Grande and establish a
permanent home there on Porcion 94. Originally called "Los
Mesquititos", the settlement became the future village of La